3/7/2020 – Family Storytime – FOOD
- Song – Top of the Morning
- This is a fun tune and great for waking up and doing a little stretching. It’s called Top of the Morning.
- Hello Rhyme – Say Hello (ASL)
- I teach four signs in American Sign Language for this hello rhyme.
It’s time to say hello.
- Song – Skinnamarink by The Hit Crew Kids
- I always feel like I need a warm up in the morning and this is a great one for that.
- ASL – EAT
- Because we are already doing a sign rhyme, I may not do any more signs but I usually like to include a few new ASL signs in storytime. I sometimes print my own flash cards from Baby Sign Language.
- Story – Piranhas Don’t Eat Bananas by Aaron Blabey
- I found this one the other day and it is so funny! Yes, I will have to use the word “butt” BUT that is what makes it funny.
- Rhyme – Toast in the Toaster
- For lap babies, caregivers can pop them up on their laps. For bigger kids, we crouch down and then jump.
Toast in the toaster
Getting very hot!
Up you pop!
- Song – Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes by Cedarmont Kids
- I could find an extra food song I like so we are going to rock our head, shoulders, knees and toes.
- Story – How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane Yolen
- You know you all love these dinosaur books.
- Scarves – Popcorn Kernels
- This is a great one to do with scarves.
Popcorn Kernels (wave scarves overhead)
In the pot (make their scarves ‘disappear’ by bunching in your fists)
Shake them shake them shake them (shake fists)
’til they POP (Toss scarves up into the air)
- Song – Spaghetti Legs by Raffi
- I figured we could keep the scarves out while we dance to this one.
- Story – The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli
- I don’t normally do three books but I love reading this one and it’s nice and short.
- Puppets – Who Stole the Cookie from the Cookie Jar
- I’m going to pull puppets out as I do this one.
Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?
_____ stole the cookie from the cookie jar.
Who me? Couldn’t be!
repeat with different animal puppets.
- Shakers / Song – Happy Feet by Dancin’ Magic
- And by this time we need a dance break.
- Rhyme – If You’re Happy and You Know It
- I like to see how happy we are.
- Goodbye Rhyme – ASL Goodbye
- We end the same way we said hello.
- Song – Clean it up
- Song – Goodbye, so long, farewell my friends
How’d it go:
This was a really great storytime. There was a little bit of everything for the big guys and little guys and it seemed to run really smoothly. Only thing I did differently from my outline was that I swapped Yolen’s and Blabey’s books because Yolen’s was longer, I wanted to do that one first.
That’s all for now!