Toddler Storytime – 1/29/20 – MOVEMENT
- HELLO – We clap and sing hello
- This is a great opener and allows the toddlers to move different parts of their bodies.
We clap and sing hello,
With our friends at storytime,
We clap and sing hello!
(Wave and sing hello; stomp and sing hello.)
We clap goodbye like this….
We wave goodbye like this….
We stomp goodbye like this…
- RHYME – Head, shoulders, knees and toes
- With a movement theme, we need to get really warmed up. So we do this one three times, faster and faster each time.
- SONG – Jump up, Turn Around by Jim Gill
- I did this one for a family storytime the other day and it was awesome! Recycling it here.
- RHYME – Balloon
- I love that this one ends in a clap. Your hands get bigger and bigger as you blow up the balloon until it POPS!
I’m going to blow up this balloon (make circle with hands)
And never, never stop. ( make circle bigger and bigger)
I’ll blow and blow and blow and blow and (pretend to blow)
POP! (clap loudly!)
- BOOK – Wiggle by Doreen Cronin
- This is a great, silly book for moving our bodies and getting some “wiggles” out!
- SONG/SCARVES – 1,2,3 Wee
- I did this one for baby storytime on Monday and I think the toddlers will get more out of it. It’s also stuck in my head so….
- RHYME/SCARVES – Popcorn Kernel
- Since we already have the scarves out…
Popcorn Kernels (wave scarves overhead)
In the pot (make their scarves ‘disappear’ by bunching in your fists)
Shake them shake them shake them (shake fists)
’til they POP (Toss scarves up into the air)
- BOOK/PUPPETS – Farm Yard Beat by Lindsey Craig
- I will pull out each puppet as I get to their sounds and ask the kids to make the sounds with me. I wanted to use Dancing Feet but we didn’t have a copy in.
- RHYME – Dance Your Fingers Up
- This is a great finger play where you dance your fingers instead of your bodies.
Dance your fingers up, dance your fingers down
Dance them to the side and dance them all around.
Dance them on our shoulders, dance them on your head.
Dance them on your tummy, and put them all to bed!
- SONG/SHAKERS – Can’t Stop the Feeling by Trolls
- I feel like you have to do this song with a movement theme!
- RHYME – If Your Happy and you Know It
- I like to include this one with my older guys to see how happy we are at the end of storytime.
- GOODBYE – We clap and sing goodbye
- We end the same way we started.
- SONG – Clean it up by The Laurie Berkner Band
- SONG – Goodbye, So Long, Farewell by Music Together
How’d it go:
I literally found out about this storytime a few hours before closing the day before. So I threw together a mix of what I had on hand. I think it went pretty well. But goodness, toddlers are exhausting (and I have one!). I don’t do toddler storytime all that often, so it was a nice reminder of what I need to do differently with these guys. Will definitely add some counting and image identification next time.
That’s all for now!