Baby Storytime: 12/16/19 – Winter
- Hello Rhyme – Hello Little Babies
- I do a different hello rhyme each month.
Hello little babies, let’s stretch up high.
Stretch so high, you reach the sky.
Now wave little babies and say hello.
Say hello, good morning.
- ASL – SNOW / WARM / COLD
- For my babies I teach them three vocabulary words in American Sign Language each week. We do a lot of repeats and stick to the easy movement signs. I generally use Baby Sign Language.com to check my signs.
- Song – Roll, Roll, Roll Your Hands
- Any version of this song is great for little hands.
- Board Book – Baby Loves Winter! by Karen Katz
- I pass these out to encourage one-on-one reading. This one even has flaps, so it’s extra interactive between baby and caregiver.
- Rhyme – Snowy Pokey
- Basically, the hokey pokey but with mittens and boots.
You put your right mitten in,
You take your right mitten out,
You put your right mitten in and you shake it all about.
You do the snowy pokey and you bounce, bounce, bounce,
Baby, that’s what it’s all about!
Left mitten, Right boot, Left boot, snow suit
- Song/Scarves – Shake Your Scarves by Johnette Downing
- I figured a snow themed storytime deserves scarves.
- Book/Flannel – Bundle Up by Jennifer Sattler
- This is a flannel of a board book I made a while back. We’re gonna give it a go with the babies.
- Rhyme – Five Little Snowmen
- I’ve done this one before as a finger play but I may also use a flannel.
Five little snowmen standing in a row (hold up 5 fingers)
Each with a hat (pat head) and a big red bow (pull at neck like a bow tie)
Along came the sun (arms form big circle over head)
And it shone all day (lean to the left)
And one of those snowmen melted away! (put down one finger)
Continue until there are no snowmen left.
- Book/Puppets – Oh! by Kevin Henkes
- This is a great one to do with puppets! Nice and short too.
- Lift – Going Up and Down in an Elevator
- Probably my favorite lift!
Going up and down in an elevator.
Up and down in an elevator.
Up and down in an elevator.
1st floor. 2nd floor. 3rd floor. DOWN!
- Bounce – I Bounce You
- And my favorite bounce!
I bounce you here, I bounce you there
I bounce you, bounce you everywhere.
I tickle you here, I tickle you there
I tickle you, tickle you everywhere.
I hug you here, I hug you there
I hug you, hug you everywhere.
- Song/Shakers – Silly Dance Contest
- Shaker time!
- Song/Bubbles – Took a Bath in a Washing Machine by Jim Gill
- Bubbles are great because when we track the bubbles with our eyes, we are actually strengthening the eye muscles we later use when we learn to read.
- Goodbye Rhyme – Goodbye Little Babies
Goodbye little babies, let’s touch our toes.
Touch your toes, reach down low.
Now wave little babies and say goodbye.
Say goodbye, so long.
- Song – Clean It Up by Laurie Berkner
- Song – Goodbye, So Long, Farewell by K. Guilmartin
How’d it go:
I jinxed it. It actually snowed today. Ha! So we had a really really small group. It was kind of nice but also really weird.
That’s all for now!