What with the holiday’s fastly approach, I thought it would be the perfect time to do a storytime all about sharing!
Here’s what I planned:
- Song – Top of the Morning
- This is a fun tune and great for waking up and doing a little stretching. It’s called Top of the Morning.
- Hello Rhyme – Say Hello
- This is a great rhyme for saying hello because we get to do it in so many fun ways!
- Song – Skinnamarink by Six Little Ducks
- ASL – Share / Thank You / Please
- Book – Llama Llama Time to Share by Anna Dewdney
- The Llama Llama books have such great rhymes. This is a little long but I think it’ll work great for a first book.
- Rhyme – The More We Get Together
- Usually, I teach the kids the sign for this song but I don’t want to overwhelm them. I am thinking I will do the signs as we sing the song and those who know it can sign along.
- Song – Shake My Sillies Our by Fisher-Price
- This is always my fall back for when I need a wiggle song and can’t find one I like with my theme.
- Puppets – It’s so much fun to share
- This is like a rhyming story/song, I found online. I am going to give it a go with puppets instead of flannel.
- Game – Red Light, Green Light, Yellow Light
- I have three colored circles on popsicle sticks and we basically dance when it’s green, dance slowly when it’s yellow and stop when it’s red. I pull them out behind my back randomly.
- Book – A Splendid Friend, Indeed by Suzanne Bloom
- I love this one and it is perfect for the theme.
- Rhyme – The Itsy Bitsy Spider
- I felt like I needed another rhyme but couldn’t find any other sharing ones I liked.
- Song/Shakers – The Sharing Song by Raffi
- This isn’t the best shaker song but I’m going to make it work!
- Rhyme – If You’re Happy and You Know It
- I always like to put this one toward the end of my storytime to see how happy we are!
- Goodbye Rhyme – Say Goodbye!
- We do the same rhyme we did in the beginning but saying goodbye instead of hello.
- Song – Clean It Up
- Any good clean up song will work.
- Song – Goodbye, So Long, Farewell by Music Together
- I will always put this one on in the background as everyone leaves because I just love it!
How’d it go: This one went really well! We only started out with about 7 kids but after a few minutes all my tardy ones arrived and we ended up with about 40. A lot of the parents were interested in the sign language and we all had a lot of fun.
That’s all for now!