Hi Guys, this week I decided to go with an ocean themed family storytime. Here’s what we did:
- Wake Up Song – Top of the Morning
- I really need to find a replacement for this one soon, but I just love how simple it is and it’s a good stretch before jumping into storytime.
- ASL – Hello Friends
- I like to use sign language in my story time. We go over the signs for: Hello, Friends, Time and Say. Thanks to Jbrary for this one!
- Movement Rhyme – Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes
- We do this one 3x. Faster and faster each time. No sleepy heads in my storytime!
- ASL – OCEAN / FISH / SWIM / BOAT
- Book – The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah DiesenThis one is a little long for my liking but I love it and I think we can have a lot of fun with it too!
- Movement exercise – Have You Ever Seen A Sailboat
- Put baby on your lap and sway back and forth with the music. Or just sway with the older kids.
Have you ever seen a sailboat, a sailboard, a sailboat
Have you ever seen a sailboat waving its sails.
Wave this way, and that way.
This way and that way.
Have you every seen a sailboat, waving it’s sails!
- Song w/ Movements – Baby Shark
- A song that drives everyone crazy! Well I found some hand movements that go with the song, so of course we are going to do them! Baby shark is thumb and forefinger, Mommy shark is whole hand–like a chomping motion, Daddy shark is both arms, Grandma shark is closed fists chomping in small motions, and Grandpa shark is closed fists big chomping motions.
- Flannel – Five Little Fishes
5 little fishes swimming in the sea
First one said, “Come swim with me!”
Second one said, “This sea is deep”
Third one said, “I want to sleep”
Fourth one said, “Let’s dive and float”
Fifth one said, “I see a boat!”
The fishing boat comes
The line goes splash And away those 5 little fishes dash!
- Book – Fish Has a Wish by Michael GarlanThis is just a nice, easy reader all about a fish who ultimately learns that he is happy just being who he is.
- Rhyme – The Wave in the Sea
The waves on the sea go up and down, [Raise
and lower arms.]
Up and down, up and down, The waves on the sea go up and down All day long.
The shark in the sea goes snap snap snap.. [Clap your hands.]
The fish in the sea go swish swish swish.. [Swish back and forth.]
The boats in the sea go toot toot toot… [Make blowing horn motion.]
- Song/Shakers – Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid
- I love to sneak in a little Disney when I can!
- ASL – Goodbye Friends
- We learn to say goodbye in ASL and use the same signs and song as our hello.
- Song – Clean It Up
- Any good clean up song will work.
- Song – Goodbye, So Long, Farewell by Music Together
- I will always put this one on in the background as everyone leaves because I just love it!
How’d it go: This one went really well! I was great on time and everyone seemed to really love the books about fish. I loooove that pout pout fish!
That’s all for now!